As the name suggests a Trojan is a malware program that masquerades as a legitimate application or file. One simple example can be a free, seemingly harmless screensaver that uploads hidden programs and scripts such as viruses and worms with the user's knowledge or permission. Trojan infections normally open a Backdoor and/or 'drop' a payload. This dropped payload is typically another malware that performs nefarious and malicious activity.
Trojans and How They Compromise PC Security
Trojan payloads are almost always designed to infect and attack the host computer causing one or more of the following types of damage:
- Erasing or overwriting your data
- Spreading other malware such as viruses
- Allowing remote access to your computer
- Logging keystrokes with the intentions of stealing your user ids, passwords and other sensitive information
- Setting up networks of Zombie computers (Botnet)
- Harvesting email addresses in your address book and using them for spam
- Slowing down your computer and displaying pop-up ads
Securing Your PC Against Trojans
Trojans can often bypass conventional defenses such as signature-based antivirus or anti-malware programs installed on consumer PCs. The best protection against the threat of sophisticated Trojans is a behavior-based anti-malware solution.
How NovaShield Can Protect Your PC from a Trojan
NovaShield Anti-Malware is a next generation behavior-based, signature-less technology. NovaShield can detect and remove Trojans by recognizing their behavior. NovaShield knows exactly what files and registry items were created by the Trojans and can remove these by-products in addition to removing the threat itself.